The Kennel Attendant is responsible for the supervision, control and management of daycare dogs and assuring the safety of the play group. Additionally, the Kennel Attendant is responsible for the maintenance and cleaning of the playrooms and holding cages as well as other areas of the facility as assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Dog Management.
- Interact with dogs in playgroups using appropriate toys and tools to ensure safe levels of play and minimizing stress levels of all dogs in playgroup.
- Maintain visual observation of dogs at all times and spread attention and play among all dogs in playgroup.
- Control level of play by following dog management and control procedures and instructions provided by Assistant Manager.
- Use proper dog handling techniques including use of kennel leads to transfer dogs.
- Use proper dog introduction procedures.
- Use appropriate praise and dog redirection methods. Ensure you know all dogs in playgroup and can properly identify them. If not, request assistance from Assistant Manager. Use paper id collars to identify dogs that are similar in appearance.
- Watch all new dogs carefully and immediately consult with Assistant Manager if you have concerns. For all dogs in playgroup; report any unusual behavior, or eliminations and injuries to the Assistant Manager immediately.
- Review special needs list and manage dogs as instructed. Complete the maintenance report for all dogs in playgroup.
- Ensure staff that relieve you for break or shift change know all dogs in group, the special needs dog status and any unusual behaviors or concerns managed during the shift. If the next shift staff is not available, update the Assistant Manager before
- Plan how dogs will be put in enclosures for meals in accordance to procedure.
- Consult Assistant Manager if you have concerns on being able to put all dogs away properly in your playroom.
- Comply with all daycare operational procedures related to dog care while in the facility. Complete dog incident reports timely when required. If you are not sure whether a report is required check with Assistant Manager.
- Complete maintenance or repair reports as needed. Immediately report any out of stock items to Assistant Manager or shift lead.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Good oral communication skills
- Previous work experience demonstrating dependability
- Previous experience providing animal care (personal or job related)
- Self-motivated, independent worker
- Proven ability to follow instructions and learn new things
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Demonstrated flexibility and proven coping skills
- Customer/Client focus
- Ethical Conduct
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
This job operates in a store environment; daycare and grooming.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms, use a calculator, cash register, telephone and computer. This job requires the employee to lift at least 25-50 pounds infrequently.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Hours vary and may require working weekends and holidays.
Required Education and Experience
High school diploma or GED.